Resources: Tinkering, Creativity, & Play
- American Journal of Play – Peer reviewed but accessible for a wide audience, the journal covers the history, science, and culture of play to increase awareness and understanding of the role of play in learning and human development and the ways in which play illuminates cultural history.
- Great Thinkers Endorse Play – Quotes collected by The Strong Museum of Play.
- Learning Through Play Resources – LEGO Foundation resources on learning through play. Research, videos, and activity guides.
- Learning Through Play: a Review of the Evidence – This LEGO whitepaper summarizes research about learning and play.
- The Strong National Museum of Play – An educational institution in Rochester, NY devoted to the study and exploration of play. Features exhibits, collections, and research, plus the National Toy Hall of Fame and the International Center for the History of Electronic Games.
- Free-range Kids – Common sense advice about parenting.
- The Power of Play: A Pediatric Role in Enhancing Development in Young Children – Research report on the benefit of play for young children from the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Play: How it Shapes the Brain, Opens the Imagination, and Invigorates the Soul – A classic book by Stuart Brown about the science of play, and its profound role in all aspects of being human, including learning.
- Purposeful Play: A Teacher’s Guide to Igniting Deep and Joyful Learning Across the Day – Lessons, classroom setups, and helpful tools and charts to infuse play across the curriculum.