Guides, resources, communities, events, and organizations supporting making in education
Guides and resources
- Family Creative Learning Facilitator Guide – Ricarose Roque and Saskia Leggett provide a planning framework and resources for family creativity workshops encouraging design and making.
- Makerspace Playbook – Ideas for schools starting a makerspace or planning a licensed Mini-Maker Faire from the MakerEd Foundation.
- Start Making!: A Guide to Engaging Young People in Maker Activities – A guide to facilitating maker activities for youth developed by the Computer Clubhouse Network. Excellent projects, activities, and suggestions for encouraging meaningful learning in school or community spaces.
- The Big Book of Makerspace Projects: Inspiring Makers to Experiment, Create, and Learn – A terrific starter book by Colleen Graves and Aaron Graves for teachers or librarians getting started with making. Includes a wide variety of low- and high-tech activities and advice about creating and managing effectively.
- The Kickstart Guide to Making GREAT Makerspaces – A spiral-bound workbook by Laura Fleming for planning an educational makerspace.
- Worlds of Making: Best Practices for Establishing a Makerspace for Your School – A concise guide for educators and school librarians by Laura Fleming with practical advice for starting a school makerspace, especially in a library.
Communities and events
- K-12 Fab Labs and Makerspaces Forum – A google group of K-12 educators who share ideas, projects, and resources.
- Maker Faire – See and share inventions around the world at one of hundreds of Maker Faires and Mini Maker Faires around the world.
- Maker Education Initiative (MakerEd) – Promotes maker clubs and making in schools.
- Digital Promise – Supports maker-style learning through research, micro-credentials, and resources for educators, leaders, and policy makers.
- Edgerton Center Makerspaces – The Edgerton Center at MIT hosts a website with a collection of makerspace resources.
- Nation of Makers – A U.S. nonprofit dedicated to helping support America’s maker organizations through advocacy, resource sharing, and the building of community within the maker movement and beyond.
- MakeSchools – Resources and contacts for colleges and universities in the United States supporting the maker movement on their campuses and in their communities.